Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fun Geography for Kids!

As many of you know, we are homeschooling our kids.  This is our 12th year!  The following two geography helps are great for any child.  

1.  For years we have had a U.S. place mat on the kitchen table.  It finally kicked the bucket recently.  I ordered a new one from Amazon and it is really nice!!  Every home should have one of these.  We reference it ALL the time!


United States Place mat by M. Ruskin available at Amazon.com

2.  This summer I finally purchased an iPod Touch.  I think my children get to use it more than I do!  There are so many really cool apps for it and many are free.  Originally, I downloaded the Stack the States Lite app, but for $0.99 it is positively worth the asking price to buy the full version!  This app asks all types of questions about our 50 states.  All of my children ages 5-12 love playing it.  The younger ones get help from older siblings.  

Stack the States available at  iTunes

I hope your family has fun with these great geography ideas!




1 comment:

Big Earth Explorers said...

Hi... I just came across your blog while searching for geography tips from parents.

I have to agree 100% with your first tip on having map place mats. I had both a US one and World map growing up and remember quizzing my brother before dinner, just for fun.

I wanted to offer another tip that helps with World geography. Have kids track their own interests around the world which will help them connect with a random place name on a map.

Sport fans can check out local soccer teams around the world (almost every country has a national team) while kids more interested in music or dance can learn a new song from various regions of the world.

Trying to get a kid to memorize the location of a random country like Uruguay is pretty difficult but help them connect to the place in a real way (they have one of the Top 10 Soccer Teams in the World!) will help your child actually remember and care about geography.