Thursday, December 27, 2007

My Favorite Math Curriculum


Three years ago I was at the end of my rope. My daughter had tried 3 different Algebra 1 texts with lots of confusion and frustration. Finally, I asked the MOMYS what curriculum they would recommend. Many kind ladies highly recommended Teaching Textbooks. This has been a lifesaver for us. We have used Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry texts from this company. The fabulous thing: you don't have to remember how to teach upper level math, this program does it for you! Each level consists of a lesson book, answer key with test booklet, CD's that include course lectures on each topic and solutions for practice, homework, and test questions. This curriculum is designed for the independent learner, and so, functions like a tutor for your student. Each lesson includes previous material so that the student is reviewing previously learned concepts. This increases concept retention.


In format and method, Teaching Textbooks is very similar to Saxon Math. I believe it explains this upper level material more clearly than Saxon. Your children will enjoy the funny illustrations and word problems. Also, Teaching Textbooks is geared toward homeschoolers and Saxon is not. We have only found one weakness in Teaching Textbooks. If you are a Saxon user, you are familiar with each homework question having a lesson number in parenthesis out to the side which refers you back to the lesson where the problem was taught. TT does not have this and it would helpful if it did. What do the kids like best? My 13 year old, when asked, says he prefers Teaching Textbooks. Both of my teens have a B+ or better math average. Also, Celeste passed into college level math and begins this January. This is enough testimony for me!


FYI, we use A Beka workbooks for grades Kindergarten thru 2nd grade, Saxon for the middle years, and Teaching Textbooks for the upper grades. TT has just come out with lower level math texts and we may be looking into switching over to those, too! It is an investment, but I figure that I have so many children coming up from behind that these books will pay for themselves. Also, resale is almost full price when in good condition. I hope this review was helpful to you! Happy New Year coming up!

No comments: